When: December 26, 2014
Time: Begins 3pm
Where: From N. Harbor Drive and County Administration Blg to W. Harbor Drive and Pacific Hwy.
Downtown San Diego (map)
More info: Event website
Map: Download parade route map (pdf)
Holiday Parade Highlights
The scenic, bayside streets of downtown San Diego and embarcadero will come alive with the Port of San Diego Big Bay Balloon Parade, presented by San Diego County Credit Union – a Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl Production.
As always, this exciting family event brings together world-class marching bands, magnificent floats, entertaining drill teams, and last but not least, a procession of enormous balloons—more than any other parade! Over 100,000 street-side spectators are expected to turn out for the parade, along with a nationwide television audience.
The parade leaves the staging area at 9:50 a.m. Telecast begins at 10:00 a.m. Ends at 11:30 a.m.
The best viewing is in the grandstanding seating near the Maritime Museum of San Diego because that is where specialty units and bands will perform for the telecast. In addition to the grandstand seating, anywhere along the parade route will also offer excellent views.
Parade festivities will begin in the television area with the finals of the annual Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals and the Bumble Bee Foods 5K. After the parade, activity will continue on Broadway Pier with games, entertainment at the annual Family Festival, sponsored by Amtrak.
Amtrak Big Bay Family Festival
The Amtrak Big Bay Family Festival at the Broadway Pier is free fun for the whole family. Climb up into the air on the Rock Wall, try your kicking leg at the Field Goal Kick or play video games in the Game Truck . The event will also feature carnival games, balloon artists and airbrush tattoos. The entertainment continues with the “Battle of the University Bands” and plenty of other fun surprises right there along The Big Bay.
- Harbor Drive from Grape to Broadway
- Pacific Highway (one southbound lane) from Grape to Ash
- Pacific Highway from Harbor to Broadway
- Harbor Drive from Broadway to Pacific Highway
- Bumble Bee 5K Start: In front of Holiday Inn on the Bay
- Bumble Bee 5K Finish: Tuna Harbor Park (on Harbor south of Broadway)
- Telecast Area: In front of the Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals Finals: Telecast area at 9:30 a.m.
- Grandstands: In front of the Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Ticket Booth and Will Call: Blue/White tent south of the Grandstands
- Big Bay Family Festival: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Broadway Pier
- Battle of Bands: At the Big Bay Family Festival at 11:45 a.m.
- Parade Disband: On Pacific Highway between Harbor and Broadway
- First Aid: Ambulance located at Broadway Pier, the 5K Finish and at Parade
- Headquarters (White tent in between County Health & Admin)
- Toilets: Along route
Where should I park?
Park in one of the many metered or pay parking lots in the downtown area or take the trolley to this great event! The best parking lot is at the corner of Pacific Highway & Broadway. Be sure to get there early to make the 9:45 Bumble Bee Foods 5K start.