Originally built in 1869, the McCoy House is the reconstructed wood-frame residence of Sheriff James McCoy and his wife Winnifred.
The greek Revival architectureal style of this large, two-story home with a columned front porch was popular among wealthy 19th-century Americans.
McCoy came to San Diego in 1849 after serving in the U.S. Army. Fluent in Spanish, this Irish-born immigrant served as county assessor in 1859, city sheriff for ten years, and as a state senator in 1871.
Archaeological evidence, the foundations of earlier adobe structures possibly belonging to Eugenia Silvas, are located on this site. A portion of it has been preserved and interpreted as part of a series of interpretive displays on the park and its history. California State Parks reconstructured the McCoy House in 2000.